Tuesday, April 14th was a great night for Kentucky businesses as Lexington held the annual Best Places to Work Awards event, and this year’s was the biggest gathering out of any state – over 1,200 attendees! With Hanna Resource Group’s own Lyle Hanna serving as Master of Ceremonies, is it any surprise that the celebration of 90 Kentucky businesses was full of fun, excitement, and an unexpected wrap-up to the event?
Following a cocktail reception and a lovely rendition of “My Old Kentucky Home” by the talented Cathy Fyock, we heard from several notable figures in Kentucky. They included theLt. Governor Crit Luallen, Susan Simmons, Chair of the KY SHRM State Council and Executive Vice President/Director of HR at Central Bank and Trust Company, Beth Kuhn, Commissioner of the Department of Workforce Investment, Dave Adkisson, President/CEO of the Kentucky Chamber of Commerce, Peter Burke, President of the Best Companies Group, and Former Governor Martha Layne Collins.
Hearing about so many exciting initiatives, opportunities, and programs in Kentucky definitely helps one build up an appetite, so dinner was served following the speeches, and then the awards ceremony began. Winners were encouraged to dance down the aisle to pick up their awards, and so many companies were good sports and played along! Some of the best movers and shakers included:
- ARGI Financial Group formed a huddle and held a mini dance-off
- Delta Dental of Kentucky threw in a little ballroom dip and twirl
- Epic Insurance Solutions, KORT, and MCM CPAs & Advisors showered themselves with confetti
- McGregor and Associates formed a tunnel for their representatives to dance through
- NetGain Technologies, Inc. excitedly jogged to the stage
- People Plus, Inc. rocked it out with some swing dancing
- Balluff, Inc. did the wave
- Harshaw Trane freaked out to ‘Freak Out’
- Farm Credit Mid-America chicken-danced to the stage
- Baptist Health had foam fingers and a banner to celebrate their run down the aisle
- Total Quality Logistics used a selfie-stick to document their victory
Others who busted moves include:
|Integrity IT||Louisville Convention & Visitors Bureau|
|SIS LLC||Strategic Communication|
|Air Hydro Power||Park Community Credit Union|
|Plumbers Supply Co.||Van Meter Insurance Group|
|Allconnect||Assured Neace Lukens|
|Big Ass Fans||iPay Solutions|
|Kentucky American Water||Neustar, Inc.|
|NPAS; Parallon Business Solutions||Trilogy Health Services LLC|
By the end of the evening, excitement was mounting as the top 5 winners in every division were announced. The winners, in order within each division, are as follows:
LARGE COMPANIES (500 + US Employees):
- Edward Jones
- Booz Allen Hamilton
- Crowe Horwath LLP
MEDIUM COMPANIES (150-499 US Employees):
- Your Community Bank
- ISCO Industries, Inc.
- Van Meter Insurance Group
- Signature HealthCARE Consulting Services, LLC
- Harrison Memorial Hospital
SMALL COMPANIES (15-149 US Employees):
- River Road Asset Management, LLC
- Benefit Insurance Marketing
- Citizens Bank & Trust Co. of Jackson
- ARGI Financial Group
- Integrity IT*
*Special shout out to one of our clients, Integrity IT –they have been ranked in the top ten three years in a row, so congratulations!
Such a momentous event wouldn’t be complete without a little unexpected hiccup, so when the hall lost power prior to the announcement of the top two winners in the Small Companies division, Lyle and the other presenters scrambled to find ways to make themselves heard. They succeeded with the use of a megaphone and their attention-grabbing personalities, and the top two winners in the Small Companies category were able to be recognized and celebrated like their medium and large counterparts.
Best Places to Work, while being a fun program to be involved in, is of course so much more than that – it keeps Kentucky businesses constantly striving for excellence in their workplace, while also helping to improve the economy by enticing people from out of state to seek work here and keeping those already here from looking for opportunities elsewhere. After all, if you already work for a Best Place to Work, what more could you want?
To find out more about Best Places to Work in Kentucky, please visit the Best Places website at www.bestplacestoworkky.com.